For an editing query, please share the first five (5) double-spaced pages of your manuscript—or, if your submission is shorter, the whole thing. To get a quote for your project, please share your entire manuscript, query letter, and so forth.
Writing or ghostwriting projects may also be queried; consultations or further correspondence will be established.
- Editorial service you think you need. Confused as to what your manuscript needs? Don’t worry, I’ll advise you. General information about editing levels is provided further on the Information page.
- Genre (such as fantasy, romance, historical fiction, and so forth)
- For children's book, provide the category (board book, picture book, chapter book, etc.).
- Total word count if only the first five pages are sent.
- Publishing option that you wish to pursue (traditional publication, self-publication)
- A note if you have attended one of my workshops, presentations, or we have met at a conference; if this is a referral.
- Let me know what you’re trying to achieve; the more I know, the better I can help you. For example: Are you submitting your piece for a specific call for submissions (such as a date-sensitive inclusion of a short story in an anthology), a contest, or for another type of assignment? If yes, please provide me with the details so I can check that you’re meeting the requirements. Are you seeking traditional publication or self-publication? Or, maybe you are still unsure at this point. Please tell me where you’re at in the process.
- Comps (comparable titles). For example, Frances Hardinge's 2020 YA novel, Deeplight, states that the book is comparable to Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea meets Frankenstein.
I will respond within forty-eight (48) hours from receipt (holidays excluded).
If you’ve never done this before then how do you know when your writing is ready for professional review?
Your project is ALWAYS welcome. I receive first drafts, and I receive publication-ready pieces. At any step of the process, I can provide you with unbiased and professional feedback to help you achieve your goal.
GENERAL RATE INFORMATION
My quotes are project-specific. I will email you a confidential written quote for your project that includes a turnaround time. Each submission is unique and I cannot provide you with a quote until I have reviewed your project in its entirety.
Ongoing services are also available. These are provided at a contracted hourly rate, tracked in fifteen-minute increments, and billed at or near the beginning of each month. Invoices are due upon receipt.
Benefit from my confidential registry of beta readers. This registry includes children from age six (for picture book) through adult beta readers. My beta reader service has been intact for more than fifteen years and is an invaluable author benefit. Authors receive specific, targeted feedback from their intended audience. Both the author and the beta reader remain confidential. I coordinate as many readers as needed per project; the author receives timely, written responses from the readers. Rates vary.
NUMBER OF EDITING HOURS PER MANUSCRIPT
Editing hours vary based on the type of work requested (such as, content editing), the level of editing required (light, medium, or heavy), and if the coordination of other personnel is needed such as subcontractors or beta readers. Each book is unique and will be priced accordingly.
I am a careful, caring, and thorough editor and my pricing is fair. My goal is to help you with publication and profitability. Writing a book is like starting a small business—you will invest money up front that you wish to recoup once you have built your author brand and have your product ready for sale. I am available to assist you from creation to publication.
Jobs typically require up to three passes for developmental editing, a final review which includes a proofread, then ongoing interaction as the author readies for publication. By working with me, the quality of your writing can improve because I encourage a continuing conversation. Improved writing means less time and money spent editing grammar and style, and more time for you to focus on your craft or other aspects of the business.
Projects receives a written quote and a turnaround time based on the hours needed for the project, the level of editing chosen, and the manner in which the edit is to be performed (such as, electronic-editing).
Ongoing clients receive priority scheduling and may continue at their contracted hourly rates when industry rates increase.
I use an online invoicing service called Square. Payment is made through this service. They email clients with notice of payment due and confirmation of payment made. You can also pay via PayPal, cash, or check and I will record such payments in Square for your records.
All clients receive electronic notice of payments made and year-end notices for tax purposes.
TYPICAL TURNAROUND TIME
I am quick and responsive. My turnaround times are competitive with industry standards.
A short piece may take days to edit, a novel may take weeks. Many authors opt for several edits, establishing an ongoing relationship with their editor. Some projects continue a year or more, from initial meeting until the manuscript is ready to submit for publication.